Listed as a 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014 & 2013 Super Lawyer Rising Star in Florida Eminent Domain Law. This honor is given to Florida attorneys under the age of 40 who have excelled in the practice of eminent domain law. The award is given to no more than 2.5% of qualified lawyers in the State of Florida.
- Contributed to “Eminent Domain Mediation,” Twelfth Edition (2021), Eleventh Edition (2019), Tenth Edition (2017), Ninth Edition (2014) and Eighth Edition (2012), Eminent Domain Practice and Procedure, The Florida Bar Manual.
- Featured Speaker on Technology and the Practice of Law at the 21st Annual Eminent Domain Institute’s CLE International Conference in Tampa, Florida (2017)
- Featured Speaker on Attorneys’ Fees and Costs in Florida Eminent Domain Law at the 20th Annual Eminent Domain Institute’s CLE International Conference in Tampa, Florida (2016).
- Featured Speaker on Tree Valuation in Florida Eminent Domain Law at a 2016 International Society of Aboriculture Conference in Tallahassee, Florida (2016)
- Featured Speaker on Ethics Issues in Florida Eminent Domain Law at the 17th Annual Eminent Domain Institute’s CLE International Conference in Tampa, Florida (2013).
- Co-Author of “Striking Back Against Peremptory Strikes”, American Bar Association, Products, General Liability and Consumer Law Committee Newsletter (2010).
- Co-Author of “How Mohawk Will Affect Litigation”, Law360.com, Appellate and Employment Sections (2010).
- Co-Author of “Trends in U.S. Product Liability Litigation”, PLC Cross-border Handbook, Life Sciences (2007, 2008).
- Contributed to the article, “Proposed Changes to the Georgia Rules of Evidence Synthesizing 140 Years of Trial and Error, December 7, 2007 edition of the Institute of Continuing Legal Education in Georgia’s Product Liability Seminar Program Materials.
- Contributed to the article, “A Bedeviling Little Subject Called Metadata,” April 17, 2006 edition of the New York Law Journal.
- Fifth generation Floridian, born in Tallahassee in 1980
- Married to Sarah Irvin Fixel in 2008
- One daughter (Raleigh Gail Fixel) born in 2011 and one son (Arthur Sorrell Fixel) born in 2015
- University of Virginia, J.D., 2005
- While studying law at the University of Virginia School of Law, Mr. Fixel was a member of the editorial staff for the University of Virginia Environmental Law Journal
- Duke University, B.A., double major in Religion and Political Science, 2002
Eminent Domain Experience
Mr. Fixel’s practice concentrates on the representation of private property owners and businesses in eminent domain cases throughout the state of Florida. Mr. Fixel’s eminent domain legal experience includes both preventing improper takings from occurring and obtaining full compensation for property owners and businesses who are subjected to eminent domain acquisitions.
In his practice, Mr. Fixel has represented hundreds of clients, ranging from individual home owners to multi-billion dollar businesses who are subjected to potential eminent domain takings. Mr. Fixel has represented these property and business owners in eminent domain matters throughout state of Florida including in Bay, Bradford, Brevard, Calhoun, Citrus, Columbia, Dade, Duval, Escambia, Gadsden, Holmes, Jackson, Jefferson, Lake, Leon, Liberty, Madison, Marion, Okaloosa, Orange, Osceola, Palm Beach, Pasco, Putnam, Santa Rosa, Sumter, St. John’s, Wakulla, Walton and Washington Counties.
Prior Professional Experience
Prior to joining the Fixel Law Firm in the spring of 2010, Mr. Fixel spent five years as an associate with King & Spalding, LLP in Atlanta, Georgia. While at King & Spalding, Mr. Fixel’s practice focused on mass tort litigation throughout the country.
Mr. Fixel’s prior legal experience includes representing oil and gas, pharmaceutical, automobile, and transportation companies in product liability and personal injury matters throughout the United States.
Listed as a Super Lawyer Rising Star in every year from 2013 to 2020 in Florida eminent domain law. This honor is given to attorneys under the age of 40 who have excelled in the practice of eminent domain law in the State of Florida. No more than 2.5% of qualified lawyers in the State of Florida are designated as Super Lawyer Rising Stars, and Mr. Fixel received this honor for eight consecutive years.
- Member of The Florida Bar, 2010
- Member of The Georgia Bar, 2005
- Member of United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida (2011)
- Member of United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia (2007)
- Member of the United States Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit (2007)
- Member of Georgia Court of Appeals (2007)
- Member of Georgia Supreme Court (2007)
- Member of the Board of Trustees for Maclay School in Tallahassee
- Member of the Executive Committee and Chair of the Long Range Planning for the Board of Trustees of Maclay School in Tallahassee
- Former Vice President and Member of the Alumni Association Board for Maclay School in Tallahassee
- Current attendee of St. John’s Episcopal Church in Tallahassee
- Past Elder and Member of First Presbyterian Church of Tallahassee
- Past Chairman of the Stewardship Committee for the First Presbyterian Church of Tallahassee
- Past Member of the Finance Endowment and Nominating Committee for First Presbyterian Church of Tallahassee
- Former interviewer for prospective students seeking admission to Duke University
- Lifelong supporter of Florida State University athletics and Golden Chief Booster
- Tallahassee Neighborhood Leadership Academy Graduate (Class of 2012)
Active Project News
By: Kendall Brandt via WTXL 27 Northeast Tallahassee is growing and so are roads like Bannerman. The growth comes with a price: some people's land. ABC 27 reported about the expansion of Bannerman Road, adding two more lanes in early August. While some think...
In a recent Panama City News Herald article, it was announced that the Bay County Transportation Planning Organization held a meeting at which the organization discussed the potential construction of a toll road connecting US 98 in Bay County to I-10. Three potential...
The Florida Department of Transportation Moves Forward with Acquisitions for the SR 75/US 231 Road Widening Project in Bay County
The Florida Department of Transportation (“FDOT”) has begun the appraisal and offer process for the first segment of the US 231 widening project which spans from 15th Street to 23rd Street including the construction of a flyover at the US 231, Harrison Avenue and 15th...