Martindale Hubbell Peer Review Rating: 5 out of 5 – AV Rated*
*The “A” portion indicates a “very high to preeminent” rating for legal ability, while the “V” is a general recommendation rating that indicates faithful adherence to ethical standards, professional reliability, diligence and other relevant factors.
Prior Professional Experience:
Since 1987, Mr. Fixel has been designated by Martindale Hubbell as an AV rated attorney. This is the highest possible peer review rating from Martindale Hubbell, which is the oldest and most trusted monitor of peer review evaluations of attorneys in the world.
Mr. Fixel has worked on most of the over 3,000 property owner and business recoveries secured by attorneys with the Fixel Law Firm. Over the last five decades, he has personally handled jury trials throughout the state. For example, Mr. Fixel has conducted jury trials in Bay, Collier, Gadsden, Hernando, Lake, Lee, Leon, Madison, Manatee, Orange, Pinellas, and Sarasota counties. In addition, Mr. Fixel has achieved favorable eminent domain settlements without the necessity of a jury trial in the aforementioned counties, as well as in nearly all other counties in the state of Florida (e.g., Alachua, Brevard, Broward, Charlotte, Citrus, Columbia, Duval, Escambia, Gulf, Hillsborough, Holmes, Jackson, Jefferson, Marion, Okaloosa, Osceola, Palm Beach, Pasco, Polk, Santa Rosa, Seminole, Sumter, Volusia, Washington, Wakulla and Walton counties).
Mr. Fixel has represented clients against a variety of condemning authorities throughout Florida. Some of these condemning authorities include Florida Board of Education, Florida Department of Transportation, Florida Department of Environmental Protection, City of Tallahassee, City of Milton, City of Orlando, City of Panama City Beach, Bay County, Calhoun County, Escambia County, Gilchrist County, Jackson County, Lake County, Leon County, Okaloosa County, Orange County, Osceola County, Santa Rosa County, Walton County, Washington County, Blueprint 2000, Orlando-Orange County Expressway, Florida Gas Transmission Company, Florida Power, Gulf Power, Choctawhatchee Electric Cooperative, Inc., Progress Energy, Emerald Coast Utilities Authority, Orlando Utilities Commission and South Walton Utility Company, among others.
- Born in Quincy, Florida in 1949
- Married to Janet S. Fixel in 1974
Florida State University College of Law, J.D., with honors, 1974
Florida State University, Urban and Regional Planning
Tulane University, B.S., 1971
Notable Publications And Lectures:
- Co-Author of “Eminent Domain Mediation,” Twelfth Edition (2021), Eleventh Edition (2019), Tenth Edition (2017), Ninth Edition (2014), Eighth Edition (2012), Supplement to Seventh Edition (2010), Seventh Edition (2008), and Sixth Edition (2003), Eminent Domain Practice and Procedure, The Florida Bar Manual
- Lecturer: “Application of the Florida Supreme Court Doerr Decision in Eminent Domain Cases,” Florida Bar Eminent Domain Committee Seminar, Tampa, Florida (2016)
- Lecturer: “What Every Business and Its Valuation Expert Should Know About Preserving and Maximizing Business Damages When Confronted With Florida’s Eminent Domain Law,” Florida Institute of CPA’s, Ft. Lauderdale, FL (2003)
- Co-Author of “Order of Taking,” Supplement to Fifth Edition (2000), Fifth Edition (1996), and Supplement to Fourth Edition (1992), Eminent Domain Practice and Procedure, The Florida Bar Manual
- Lecturer: “Experts’ Roles and Special Concerns Regarding Eminent Domain Mediation,” Association of Eminent Domain Professionals Education Conference, Tampa, Florida (1999)
- Lecturer: “Peculiar Practicalities of Eminent Domain Mediation, “CLE International Eminent Domain 2nd Annual Conference, Tampa, Florida (1998)
- Lecturer: “Non-Monetary Benefits Secured for Property Owners in Eminent Domain, “Florida Bar Eminent Domain Committee Seminar, Orlando, Florida (1993)
- Lecturer: “Ethics in Eminent Domain,” Florida Bar Eminent Domain Practice and Procedure Seminar, Tampa, Florida (1990)
Other Related Professional Experience Of Mr. Fixel Includes:
- Service on a legislative task force in 1998/1999, during which Mr. Fixel participated in drafting revisions to the Florida Eminent Domain Code which became law.
- Assistant General Counsel, Florida Department of Environmental Regulation (1977 – 1978)
- Eminent Domain Trial Attorney, Florida Department of Transportation (1976 – 1977, 1979 – 1981)
- Member of The Florida Bar, 1975
- Member of United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- Member of the United States Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- Member of the United States Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- Elder, First Presbyterian Church of Tallahassee, Florida
- Past Attorney for Tallahassee Community College Foundation
- Past Member of Florida State University Track & Field Officials Association
- Florida State University President’s Club
- McIntosh Society at Florida State University
Active Project News
By: Kendall Brandt via WTXL 27 Northeast Tallahassee is growing and so are roads like Bannerman. The growth comes with a price: some people's land. ABC 27 reported about the expansion of Bannerman Road, adding two more lanes in early August. While some think...
In a recent Panama City News Herald article, it was announced that the Bay County Transportation Planning Organization held a meeting at which the organization discussed the potential construction of a toll road connecting US 98 in Bay County to I-10. Three potential...
The Florida Department of Transportation Moves Forward with Acquisitions for the SR 75/US 231 Road Widening Project in Bay County
The Florida Department of Transportation (“FDOT”) has begun the appraisal and offer process for the first segment of the US 231 widening project which spans from 15th Street to 23rd Street including the construction of a flyover at the US 231, Harrison Avenue and 15th...