- Born in Quincy, Florida in 1949
- Florida State University College of Law, J.D., with honors, 1974
- Florida State University, Urban and Regional Planning
- Tulane University, B.S., 1971
PRIOR PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:
Since 1987, Mr. Fixel has been designated by Martindale Hubbell as an AV rated attorney. This is the highest possible peer review rating from Martindale Hubbell, which is the oldest and most trusted monitor of peer review evaluations of attorneys in the world.
Mr. Fixel has worked on the majority of over 2,300 property owner and businesses recoveries secured by attorneys with Fixel & Willis. During the last three and a half decades, he has personally handled jury trials throughout the state. For example, Mr. Fixel has conducted trials in Bay, Collier, Gadsden, Hernando, Lake, Lee, Leon, Madison, Manatee, Orange, Pinellas, and Sarasota counties. In addition, Mr. Fixel has achieved favorable eminent domain settlements without the necessity of a jury trial in the aforementioned counties, as well as in nearly all other counties in the state of Florida (eg. Alachua, Brevard, Broward, Charlotte, Citrus, Columbia, Duval, Escambia, Gulf, Hillsborough, Holmes, Jackson, Jefferson, Marion, Okaloosa, Osceola, Palm Beach, Pasco, Polk, Santa Rosa, Seminole, Sumter, Volusia, Washington, Wakulla, and Walton counties).
Mr. Fixel has represented clients against a variety condemning authorities throughout Florida. Some of these condemning authorities include Florida Board of Education, Florida Department of Transportation, Florida Department of Environmental Protection, City of Tallahassee, City of Milton, City of Orlando, City of Panama City Beach, Bay County, Calhoun County, Escambia County, Gilchrist County, Jackson County, Lake County, Leon County, Okaloosa County, Orange County, Osceola County, Santa Rosa County, Walton County, Washington County, Blueprint 2000, Orlando-Orange County Expressway, Florida Gas Transmission Company, Gulf Power, Choctawhatchee Electric Cooperative, Inc., Progress Energy, Emerald Coast Utilities Authority, Orlando Utilities Commission and South Walton Utility Company, among others.
Other related professional experience of Mr. Fixel includes:
- Staff Attorney, Joint Administrative Procedures Committee, Florida Legislature (1975 – 1976)
- Eminent Domain Trial Attorney, Florida Department of Transportation (1976 – 1977, 1979 – 1981)
- Assistant General Counsel, Florida Department of Environmental Regulation (1977 – 1978)
- Service on a legislative task force in 1998/1999, during which Mr. Fixel participated in drafting revisions to the Florida Eminent Domain Code which became law.
NOTABLE PUBLICATIONS AND LECTURES:
- Co-Author of “Order of Taking,” Supplement to Fourth Edition (1992), Fifth Edition (1996), and Supplement to Fifth Edition (2000), Eminent Domain Practice and Procedure, The Florida Bar Manual
- Co-Author of “Eminent Domain Mediation,” Sixth Edition (2003), Seventh Edition (2008), Supplement to Seventh Edition (2010), Eighth Edition (2012), and Ninth Edition (2014), Eminent Domain Practice and Procedure, The Florida Bar Manual
- Lecturer: “Ethics in Eminent Domain,” Florida Bar Eminent Domain Practice and Procedure Seminar, Tampa, Florida (1990)
- Lecturer: “Non Monetary Benefits Secured for Property Owners in Eminent Domain,” Florida Bar Eminent Domain Committee Seminar, Orlando, Florida (1993)
- Lecturer: “Peculiar Practicalities of Eminent Domain Mediation,” CLE International Eminent Domain 2nd Annual Conference, Tampa, Florida (1998)
- Lecturer: “Experts’ Roles and Special Concerns Regarding Eminent Domain Mediation,” AEDP Education Conference, Tampa, Florida (1999)
- Lecturer: “What Every Business and Its Valuation Expert Should Know About Preserving and Maximizing Business Damages When Confronted With Florida’s Eminent Domain Law,” Florida Institute of CPA’s, Ft. Lauderdale, FL (2003)
- Member of The Florida Bar, 1975
- Member of The Florida Bar Eminent Domain Committee (1977 – present)
- Member of United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- Member of the United States Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- Member of the United States Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- Elder, First Presbyterian Church of Tallahassee, Florida
- Past Attorney for Tallahassee Community College Foundation
- Past Member of Florida State University Track & Field Officials Association
- Florida State University President’s Club
- McIntosh Society at Florida State University