- Fifth generation Floridian, born in Tallahassee in 1980
- Married to Sarah Irvin Fixel in 2008
- One daughter (Raleigh Gail Fixel) born in 2011 and one son (Arthur Sorrell Fixel) born in 2015
- University of Virginia, J.D., 2005
- While studying law at the University of Virginia School of Law, Mr. Fixel was a member of the editorial staff for the University of Virginia Environmental Law Journal
- Duke University, B.A., Political Science and Religion, 2002
- Listed as a Super Lawyer Rising Star in every year from 2013 to 2019 in Florida eminent domain law. This honor is given to attorneys under the age of 40 who have excelled in the practice of eminent domain law in the State of Florida. No more than 2.5% of qualified lawyers in the State of Florida are designated as Super Lawyer Rising Stars, and Mr. Fixel has received this honor for seven consecutive years.
EMINENT DOMAIN EXPERIENCE:
Mr. Fixel’s practice concentrates on the representation of private party owners and businesses in eminent domain cases throughout the state of Florida. Mr. Fixel’s eminent domain legal experience includes both preventing improper takings from occurring and obtaining full compensation for property owners and businesses who are subjected to eminent domain acquisitions.
In his practice, Mr. Fixel has represented hundreds of clients, ranging from individual home owners to multi-billion dollar businesses, who are subjected to potential eminent domain takings. Mr. Fixel has represented these property and business owners in eminent domain matters in Escambia, Santa Rosa, Okaloosa, Walton, Bay, Washington, Calhoun, Gadsden, Leon, Wakulla, Jefferson, Putnam, Duval, St. John’s, Columbia, Putnam, Citrus, Marion,Lake and Dade Counties.
PRIOR PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:
Prior to joining Fixel & Willis in the spring of 2010, Mr. Fixel spent five years as an associate with King & Spalding, LLP in Atlanta, Georgia. While at King & Spalding, Mr. Fixel’s practice focused on mass tort litigation throughout the country.
Mr. Fixel’s prior legal experience includes representing oil and gas, pharmaceutical, automobile, and transportation companies in product liability and personal injury matters throughout the United States.
- Contributed to “Eminent Domain Mediation,” Tenth Edition (2017), Ninth Edition (2014) and Eighth Edition (2012), Eminent Domain Practice and Procedure, The Florida Bar Manual
- Featured Speaker on Technology and the Practice of Law at the 21st Annual Eminent Domain Institute’s CLE International Conference in Tampa, Florida (2017)
- Featured Speaker on Attorneys’ Fees and Costs in Florida Eminent Domain Law at the 20th Annual Eminent Domain Institute’s CLE International Conference in Tampa, Florida (2016)
- Featured Speaker on Tree Valuation in Florida Eminent Domain Law at a 2016 International Society of Aboriculture Conference in Tallahassee, Florida (2016)
- Featured Speaker on Ethics Issues in Florida Eminent Domain Law at the 17th Annual Eminent Domain Institute’s CLE International Conference in Tampa, Florida (2013)
- Co-Author of Striking Back Against Peremptory Strikes, American Bar Association, Products, General Liability and Consumer Law Committee Newsletter (2010)
- Co-Author of How Mohawk Will Affect Litigation, Law360.com, Appellate and Employment Sections (2010)
- Co-Author of Trends in U.S. Product Liability Litigation, PLC Cross-border Handbook, Life Sciences (2007, 2008)
- Contributed to the article, “Proposed Changes to the Georgia Rules of Evidence Synthesizing 140 Years of Trial and Error, December 7, 2007 edition of the Institute of Continuing Legal Eduction in Georgia’s Product Liability Seminar Program Materials
- Contributed to the article, “A Bedeviling Little Subject Called Metadata,” April 17, 2006 edition of the New York Law Journal
- Member of The Florida Bar, 2010
- Member of The Georgia Bar, 2005
- Member of United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida (2011)
- Member of United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia (2007)
- Member of the United States Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit (2007)
- Member of Georgia Court of Appeals (2007)
- Member of Georgia Supreme Court (2007)
- Elder and Member of First Presbyterian Church of Tallahassee
- Chairman of the Stewardship Committee for the First Presbyterian Church of Tallahassee
- Member of the Nominating Committee for First Presbyterian Church of Tallahassee
- Interviewer for prospective students seeking admission to Duke University
- Lifelong supporter of Florida State athletics and Golden Chief booster
- Former Vice President and Member of the Alumni Association Board for Alfred B. Maclay School in Tallahassee
- Live Oak Society Member for the Maclay School Fund (Andalusian)
- Tallahassee Neighborhood Leadership Academy Graduate (Class of 2012)